When you are suffering from a migraine attack, everything else seems to enhance your symptoms. Though the symptoms of the condition might be different for everyone, the query is the same: when will this terror end?
It is not a pleasant experience to deal with the frustrating migraine symptoms, and it does not help that they might last for 4 hours to 72! Learn all about how long migraines last in this blog.
Indications of Migraine
Many people believe that headaches and migraines are the same, which is false! Yes, headache is a symptom of migraine, but there is much more to this condition than just pain in your head. And even the headache is not mild! Here are some signs of a migraine:
- Feeling thirsty
- Energy levels that are unusually high or low
- Craving certain foods
- Constant urge to pee
- Sleepiness with a lot of yawning
- Changes in vision
- Experiencing sensations in your skin
- Sensitivity to light and sound
- Headache behind the eye or on any one side
If you notice migraine symptoms, you should visit an expert for a professional diagnosis. They can assess your condition and suggest adequate treatment.
How Long Does a Migraine Last?
It is not easy to keep up with the symptoms of migraine. You might be wondering when the pain and discomfort will end, as it can become challenging to continue with the remaining tasks. On average, a migraine attack lasts 4 hours to 72 hours — it might last even longer in some cases. It is hard to say how long a migraine episode will last, mainly because everyone has a unique experience, and the condition is not one size fits all!
There are four essential stages of a migraine attack: Prodrome Aura, Headache, and Postdrome, with each stage taking its designated time. When you reach the headache stage, it will last anywhere between 4 hours to three days. As for all stages, they will take a day to even an entire week. Though it is rare for a migraine to last a week, it still happens. Generally, a migraine attack lasts a couple of weeks.
Tips to Ease Migraine Pain
Here are some tips to reduce your migraine pain:
- Rest in a Dark Room: Migraine brings sensitivity to light, which can worsen the condition. You can go to a dark room to avoid exposure to light. You can even rest, which brings significant improvement. Therefore, go to a dark room and rest.
- Warm Cold Compress: Using a cold compress on your forehead or the back of your head is also a great tactic to distract your brain, as it has a numbing effect. You can also use a warm compress, which helps the tense muscle relax. A warm shower or bath can help too!
- Hydrate Yourself: Dehydration is a common cause of headaches and migraines. So, keeping yourself hydrated can be an immense help in improving the symptoms of a migraine!
A migraine attack can last for 4 hours or even a week in extreme cases. You should go to a specialist and try effective treatments to alleviate your discomfort. Sleep Headache Solutions is your go-to solution for migraines and sleep disorders! Talk to us at 832-688-8886 or pay us a visit at 13114 FM 1960 West, Ste 105B, Houston, TX 77065.